4K Super 35mm Exmor CMOS sensor XDCAM Camera
A high mobility professional camera with continuous Super Slow Motion capabilities, the Sony PXW-FS7 has an α Mount lens system compatible with a wide variety of E-Mount and A-Mount* lenses.
The Sony PXW-FS7 camera has a well-designed grip for ease of use and manoeuvrability, making it perfect for single-person operation. The FS7 also provides easy handling in circumstances where the surprising versatility of its α Mount lens system and matching compatible lenses can be used to full benefit.
The Sony PXW-FS7 camera features a 4K Super 35mm Exmor CMOS sensor and support for shooting in 4K 60p or Full HD at high frame rates up to 180 fps (frames per second). Selectable recording formats include XAVC, which supports 4K 60p, Full HD 60p even in 4:2:2 10-bit recording, as well as the common MPEG-2 HD 422 format used by many broadcast stations around the world.
You can connect an optional Extension Unit (XDCA-FS7) to the Sony FS7 Camera in order to open up the options of multi-camera filming and ProRes 422 encoding. You can connect an HXR-IFR5 interface and AXS-R5 recorder to support parallel recording and 4K/2K RAW recordings up to 240fps in 2K with the Sony FS7.
Sony PXW-FS7 – Ergonomic, lightweight design
The Sony FS7 camera has a host of design features including a grip design for ease handling and operability, and adjustable arm section ideal for single-person operation. The Sony PXW-FS7 camera also provides low power consumption and lower investment costs.
The Sony PXW-FS7 has a high-sensitivity 4K Super 35mm Exmor CMOS sensor which supports 4K motion-picture shooting. The FS7 supports internal recording at 4K resolution as well as a wide range of frame rates 59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 25P and 23.98P), and provides outstanding sensitivity of ISO2000 and the dynamic range of 14 stops.
Super Slow Motion continuous recordings on the Sony PXW-FS7
The Sony FS7 camera offers continuous recording in Full HD image quality and a frame rate of up to 180 fps on internal XQD media. Using external RAW recorder images can be captured in 2K up to 240 fps.
α Mount System with E-mount lens mount
The Sony FS7 camera incorporates the α Mount System with an E-mount lens mount, ideal for the SELP28135G 35mm full frame powered zoom lens. The use of A-mount lenses is made possible via the LA-EA4 lens adaptor.
The PXW-FS7K model is supplied with an SEPP28135G 28-35mm lens – ideal for high-quality movie imagery including high-resolution 4K formats.
* A-Mount lenses require LA-EA4 lens adaptor.
Features of the Sony PXW-FS7 4K Super 35mm Exmor CMOS sensor XDCAM camera
Ergonomic grip design and adjustable arm and Viewfinder system
The PXW-FS7 grip, designed for easy handling and operability, is the result of exhaustive consultation with videographers and cinematographers, as well as the production of various prototypes. The shape supports long periods of camera use and flexibly accommodates subtle differences among various users' gripping styles. The angle of the grip can be easily adjusted with the press of a button.
In addition to a zoom button and Rec Start/Stop, the grip also has several programmable buttons that can be customised for easy access to any other functions such as the expanded focus function. The length of the arm section of the PXW-FS7 can be adjusted just by turning a knob. Another knob at the joint makes it easy to adjust the angle of the camera. So a user can choose a comfortable style that suits his or her physique and shooting position.
Easy settings during one-man operation
The Peaking and Zebra function buttons and contrast knob are positioned on the side of the PXW-FS7 viewfinder for easy adjustment of focus, contrast and exposure. Also, by turning a single knob, the position of the finder can be set, allowing for degrees of freedom. The viewfinder system is designed that even people with a dominant left eye can use it comfortably.
Dust-proof, drip-proof design for use even in harsh environments
The body of the PXW-FS7 is constructed to withstand tough conditions, with buttons, dials and other parts specially sealed to prevent dust and water spray from entering. Also, the air passageways from the cooling fan are separated from the interior of the camera.
Built-in Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
The PXW-FS7 is equipped with a Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe that supports connection to wireless microphone packages such as the UWP-D11 or UWP-D12 (sold separately). When connected to the shoe, the HVL-LBPC light (optional) can be turned on or off from the camera, and power and audio connections are provided to the UWP-D11 or UWP-D12 without cables.
Equipped with high-sensitivity 4K Super 35mm Exmor CMOS sensor
The PXW-FS7 is equipped with a Super 35mm CMOS image sensor with approximately 11.6 million total pixels (4352 x 2662) and 8.9 million effective pixels. The high image readout speed of the image sensor allows the PXW-FS7 to support 4K motion-picture shooting and Super Slow Motion. The sensor also realizes a high sensitivity of ISO2000 and a wide dynamic range of 14 stops. Thanks to its full-pixel readout capability without pixel binning and sophisticated camera processing, jaggies and moire. are minimized.
Internal recording in 4K* resolution up to 60fps
The PXW-FS7 supports internal recording at 4K resolution as well as a wide range of frame rates (59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 25P and 23.98P). When viewed on a 4K monitor, footage shot in 4K is reproduced so clearly down to the finest details that it gives a viewer the illusion of actually being within the scene. When viewed on a Full HD monitor, 4K footage boasts even higher resolution than footage shot in Full HD.
* QFHD 3840 x 2160 resolution from launch. 4096 x 2160 resolution with firmware update, early 2015.
Super Slow Motion continuous recording is possible
The PXW-FS7 offers continuous recording at Full HD image quality and a frame rate of up to 180 fps. This makes it possible to attain up to 7.5x Super Slow Motion when played back at 23.98 fps. Furthermore, support for unlimited shooting at Super Slow Motion means no more mistimed shots leading to extra takes. It also lets you pick out footage at exactly the point that you want.
α Mount System for a wide selection of lenses and E-mount that is suitable for movie shooting
The PXW-FS7 incorporates the α Mount System, with an E-mount lens mount. This is especially useful for motion-picture shooting because the system supports power driven silent auto focus, iris control, power zoom and more, as well as SteadyShot image stabilization and other functions. Moreover, the E-mount system's short flange-back distance (the distance from the lens-mounting surface to the image sensor) enables use of A-mount lenses via LA-EA4 lens adaptor, as well as various other lenses via third-party adaptors. The E-mount system thereby makes it possible to take advantage of a wealth of lens resources suitable for creative, versatile video expression.
Supports various formats, including XAVC Intra and Long GOP
The PXW-FS7 supports two formats, XAVC and MPEG-2 HD 422, which can be selected to suit the application. Two XAVC compression systems (Intra and Long GOP) are provided through an H.264AVC codec. Intra supports recording with 4:2:2 10-bit sampling for 4K and Full HD, as well as a high bit rate of up to 600 Mbps. In Long GOP, image quality and recording time are balanced to allow Full HD recording in 1080/50P with 4:2:2 10-bit sampling at only 50 Mbps, making this format suitable for longer duration shooting. Support is also provided for the MPEG2 HD 422 recording format, which is mainly used at broadcast stations. Supported formats and bit rates are indicated below.
Support for S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log3, SGamut3/S-Log3 and other log curves
The PXW-FS7 supports such log gamma curves as S-Gamut3. Cine/S-Log3 and S-Gamut3/S-Log3. Due to the fact that 18% grey is set at a bright level, S-Log3 is noted for delivering a wider dynamic range than the 1300% achieved by S-log2 incorporated in cameras such as the NEX-FS700, a difference equal to 1.5 stops. The log gamma itself is close to Cineon log, so colour correction is easier to perform and it is possible to achieve cinematic expression with the look of film. In addition, compared to the colour gamut of S-Gamut3. Cine, which is geared toward reproducing the wide colour gamut of DCI-P2 colour space used in digital cinema, the colour gamut of S-Gamut3 is geared toward the reproduction of almost all actual colours, and is thereby suitable for archival purposes.
Extension Unit XDCA-FS7 for shooting support
Extension Unit XDCA-FS7 can be connected directly to the PXW-FS7 to enable the use of functions that support the operator's shooting style or workflow, including Apple ProRes 422 recording to an XQD card in the camera.
Built-in ND filter unit
ND filters for adjusting the amount of light are provided in a built-in ND filter unit. This allows shooting to be done with a shallow depth of field without having to stop down the iris, even under bright conditions. The settings are Clear, 1/4 (2eV), 1/16 (4eV) and 1/64 (6eV).
Two XQD media slots support simultaneous and relay recording
The PXW-FS7 has two XQD card slots that enable simultaneous and relay recording. During relay recording, when one medium becomes full, recording continues automatically to the other media. During simultaneous recording, not only can the same footage be recorded on both channels at the same time, but also one channel can be used for random shooting while the other is being used for continuous recording as backup.
RAW output for external 4K/2K RAW recording*
The PXW-FS7’s FS RAW Interface that can be connected to an HXR-IFR5 interface unit and RAW AXS-R5 recorder to enable external 4K/2K RAW recording. The interface also allows the use of compatible third-party external recorders. Full HD footage shot with the unit is time code-synchronized to allow offline editing of the content.
* Requires XDCA-FS7 Extension Unit.
Support for multi-camera shooting*
Precise timecode synchronization provided by Genlock and Timecode In/Out functions in the XDCA-FS7 Extension Unit enable multi-camera operations.
* Requires XDCA-FS7 Extension Unit.
Catalyst Browse software from Sony
Free clip management tool for both PC & Mac that supports all Sony professional formats.
Review footage on location, add metadata and review colour corrections.
Seamless upgrade to advanced Catalyst Prepare media preparation tool.
Please be aware that features/specifications can differ from country to country.
- Approx. 2.0 kg (body only)
- Approx. 4.5 kg (with Viewfinder, Eyepiece, Grip Remote Control, BP-U30 battery, SELP28135G lens, and XQD memory card)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 156 x 239 x 247 mm (body without protrusions)
- Approx. 19W (while recording XAVC-I QFHD 59.94P, SELP28135G Lens, Viewfinder ON, not using external device)
0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
- -20°C to +60°C (-4°F to +140°F)
Battery Operating Time
- Approx. 1 hrs with BP-U30 battery (while recording XAVC-I QFHD 59.94P, SELP28135G Lens, Viewfinder ON, not using external device)
- Approx. 2 hrs with BP-U60 battery while recording XAVC-I QFHD 59.94P, SELP28135G Lens, Viewfinder ON, not using external device)
- Approx. 3 hrs with BP-U90 battery (while recording XAVC-I QFHD 59.94P, SELP28135G Lens, Viewfinder ON, not using external device)
Recording Format (Video)
XAVC-I mode:QFHD 59.94P CBG, bit rate 600Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:QFHD 50P CBG, bit rate 500Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:QFHD 29.97P CBG, bit rate 300Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:QFHD 23.98P CBG, bit rate 240Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:QFHD 25P CBG, bit rate 250Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:HD 59.94P VBR, maximum bit rate 222Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:HD 50P VBR, maximum bit rate 185Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:HD 59.94i VBR, maximum bit rate 111Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:HD 50i VBR, maximum bit rate 112Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-I mode:HD 29.97P VBR, maximum bit rate 111Mbps, MPEG-4
Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC-L QFHD 59.94P/50P mode: VBR, maximum bit rate 150Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-L QFHD 29.97P/23.98P/25P mode: VBR, maximum bit rate 100Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-L HD 50 mode: VBR, maximum bit rate 50Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-L HD 35 mode: VBR, maximum bit rate 35Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- XAVC-L HD 25 mode: VBR, maximum bit rate 25Mbps, MPEG-4 H.264/AVC
- MPEG HD422 mode: CBR, maximum bit rate 50Mbps, MPEG-2 422P@HL
Recording Format (Audio)
- LPCM 24 bits, 48 kHz, 4 channels (Recording/Playback ONLY 2 channels)
Recording Frame Rate
- XAVC-I QFHD mode: 3840x2160/ 59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
- XAVC-I HD mode: 1920x1080/59.94P, 50P, 59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
- XAVC-L QFHD mode: 3840x2160/59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
- XAVC-L HD 50 mode: 1920x1080/59.94P, 50P, 59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
- XAVC-L 35 mode: 1920x1080/59.94P, 50P, 59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
- XAVC-L 25 mode: 1920x1080/59.94i, 50i
- MPEG HD422 mode: 1920x1080/59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P 1280x720/59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P
XAVC-I mode QFHD 59.94P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 22 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 11 minutes
- XAVC-I mode QFHD 50P When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 26 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 13 minutes
- XAVC-I mode QFHD 29.97P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 44 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 22 minutes
- XAVC-I mode QFHD 23.98P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 55 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 27 minutes
- XAVC-I mode QFHD 25P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 52 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 26 minutes
- XAVC-I mode HD 59.94P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 59 minutes
- XAVC-I mode HD 50P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 71 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 35 minutes
- XAVC-I mode HD 59.94i, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 118 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 59 minutes
XAVC-I mode HD 50i When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 141 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 70 minutes
- XAVC-I mode HD 29.97P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 118 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 59 minutes
- XAVC-I mode HD 23.98P , When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 147 minutes; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 74 mins
- XAVC-I mode HD 25P, When using QD-G128A(128GB): Approx. 141 mins; when using QD-G64A (64GB): Approx. 70 min
Imaging Device (Type)
- Super35 type Single-chip Exmor CMOS
Effective Picture Elements
- 17:9 4096 (H) x 2160 (V)
- 16:9 3840 (H) x 2160 (V)
Built-in Optical Filters
- Clear, 1/4ND, 1/16ND, 1/64ND
Sensitivity (2000 lx, 89.9% reflectance)
- Video Gamma: T14 (3840 x 2160/23.98P mode 3200K)
- ISO 2000(S-Log3 Gamma D55 Light source)
- 0.7 lx (+18dB,23.98P,Shutter OFF,ND Clear, F1.4)
Slow & Quick Motion Function
- XAVC-I mode 3840x2160: 1 to 60 frames (59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P)
- XAVC-I mode 1920x1080: 1 to 180 frames (59.94P, 29.97P, 23.98P); 1 to 150 frames (50P, 25P)
- XAVC-L mode 3840x2160：1 to 60 frames (59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P)
- XAVC-L mode 1920x1080: 1 to 120 frames (59.94P, 50P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25P)
- Preset, Memory A, Memory B(1500K-50000K)/ATW
- -3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 18 dB, AGC
- BNC(x2), switchable with 3G-SDI/HD-SDI
- Stereo mini jack (x1) -16dBu 16Ω
- Stereo mini-minijack (Φ2.5 mm)
- 4-pin, Type A for W-LAN (x1)
Built-in LCD Monitor
- 8.8cm (3.5 type) Approx. 1.56M dots
- Omni-directional monoral electret condenser microphone
- XQD Card slot(x2)
- SD Card slot(x1) for saving configuration data
- Boyd Cap (1)
- Viewfinder (1)
- Eyepiece (1)
- Grip Remote Control (1)
- USB wireless LAN module IFU-WLM3 (1)
- Wireless remote commander (1) (RMT-845)
- WA Adaptor Bracket (1)
- MPA-AC1 AC Adapter (1)
- BC-U1 battery charger (1)
- BP-U30 battery pack (1)
- Power cord (2)
- USB cable (1)
- Operating Guide (2)
- CD-ROM "Manuals for Solid-State Memory Camcorder" (1)
Have you purchased or used this product before?
Why not help others by giving them the benefit of your opinion.
Simply click here to Log On or register and enter a few details about your experience with this product.
Your personal details are not shared with others and your review is counted with others to form an average rating. To guard against spam and inflammatory remarks, all reviews will be moderated before they are posted.
PXW-FS7 4K Camera with Super 35mm Exmor CMOS sensor, A Mount lens system and 4K, 2K, RAW and XAVC recording options