Since its inception, Metabones has been designing and manufacturing lens adapters recognized among professionals and enthusiasts as leaders in design and workmanship.
Contrary to the popular trend of other factories using an aluminum ring painted black on the camera-body-side, we instead take no short-cut but use precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera-body and the lens sides of our adapters, in order to ensure smooth mounting, great appearance, and durability. The lens side of the adapter features a strong leaf-spring structure, strengthening the adapter-lens connection and ensuring tightness of the lens in order to reduce wear and prevent focus errors and optical alignment issues from appearing.
Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
All Metabones Adapters follow this tradition of uncompromising precision, robust build quality and outstanding finish. Our new Smart AdapterTM series of products add industry-leading electronic interfacing technology from Canada, with true electronic control of the lens' aperture directly from the camera body.
Select the correct EF-MFT Speed Booster fits for your camera:
Always Enhance and Never Degrade the Performance of the Attached Master Lens
Like the ULTRA series for Sony E-mount, the new Speed Booster ULTRA m43 uses an advanced 5-element 4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass. However, the new design is specifically optimized for the Micro Four Thirds sensor and filter stack, and as a result achieves an astonishing level of performance that sets a new standard for focal reducers.
Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster® announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA m43 has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless Micro Four Thirds mount cameras from 2.0x to 1.4x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is almost perfectly corrected for use with all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of aperture. The Speed Booster ULTRA m43 will also work extremely well with many DX and APS-C format lenses provided the image circle of the lens is large enough. Optical performance of the new Speed Boosters is so good that the MTF of any lens attached to it will be improved. Even the latest generation of ultra-high performance SLR lenses such as the Zeiss Otus series can be improved by adding a Speed Booster ULTRA m43.
Autofocus with an Optimum Balance of Accuracy, Speed, Consistency and Reliability
New in Speed Booster ULTRA for Canon EF Mount to Micro Four Thirds is autofocus support, subject to certain limitations (see table above for details). We are pleased to report that Panasonic Micro Four Thirds camera bodies are capable of autofocusing accurately even if the maximum aperture of the Speed Booster and the lens combined is in the sub-f/1.0 range. Although our first and foremost priority is accuracy, we are able to make great strides in autofocus speed as well.
Autofocus Lens Compatibility List
The following table lists lenses which has been tested. Other lenses not listed here typically works well, too.
• Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye
• Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
• Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
• Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II
• Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6
• Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
• Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
• Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
• Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
• Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
• Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
• Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
• Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM
• Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
• Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
• Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
• Canon EF Extender 1.4x III
• Canon EF Extender 2x
• Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC Art
• Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC HSM
• Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art
• Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm f/2.8 DXII
Tested by the community, thanks!
• Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
• Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM (Mark I)
• Canon EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM
• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
• Canon EF 400/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Accurate only on newer cameras such as Panasonic G7 and GX8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC A20
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A009
Manual focus only
Contax N lenses modified by Conurus
Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 VC B005
Zeiss ZE lenses
Focus confirmation "chips"
• Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (non-IS)
• Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
• Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
• Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Manual Focus Lens Compatibility
Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster and cause damage to the Speed Booster and/or camera body.
Focus confirmation "chips" such as Dandelion are incompatible.
Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Speed Booster are not covered by warranty.
List of manual focus lenses which REQUIRE MODIFICATION to be used on Speed Booster
Elmarit R 28/2.8
Elmarit R 35/2.8
Summicron R 50/2
Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit.
• Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
• Satin surface finish - just like your OEM lens and camera mounts.
• Precise fit and solid connection - lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
• Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.
Our Smart AdapterTM series adapters have the following additional features
• True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
• EXIF data such as lens identification, focal length and aperture.
Features and Benefits
- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop
- Increase MTF of any lens attached
- Makes lens 0.71x wider
- Patented 5-element/4-group optical design by Caldwell Photographic in the USA
- Supports 16/9 video mode with DX lenses.
- Can be powered either by camera body or by third-party external 5V power source (not included)
- Iris/aperture controlled by the camera body
- Image stabilization (IS) lens support
- Electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
- EXIF (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
- Distance and zoom display on camcorders (requires lenses supporting distance information)
- Detachable tripod foot compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads.
The opening is flocked with felt material coating to reduce internal reflection.
- Compatible with all MFT mount cameras, including GH4, OM-D, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and JVC GY-LS300.
• Supports only Panasonic GH4, GH3, G3, G5, G6, G7, G10, GF3, GF5, GF6, GX1, GX8, Olympus E-PL7, Blackmagic Cinema Camera with Micro Four Thirds mount**, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera***
• EF-S lenses require modification to fit (but third party DX lenses can be used without modification)
• EF-S and third party DX lenses may not cover the full Micro Four Thirds sensor in still photo and FHD video modes (but will cover 4k video mode)
• No video AF for Olympus
• AFC (continuous AF) and AFF (flexible AF) modes are not supported
• Panasonic video AF may hunt more than a native lens or have unsatisfactory performance.
• Tamron lenses may have unsatisfactory video AF accuracy. Canon and Sigma lenses are fine.
• No support for Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing on Olympus.
• On Olympus, other than E-M1, you may move the single AF point among any of the 81, but you may not multi-point AF. There is no restriction on E-M1 and Panasonic.
• EF-mount lenses are not silent but may make audible click noises during autofocus operation and iris changes which may be picked up by the built-in microphone of the camera. An external microphone is recommended for video.
• Iris changes are unsmooth but in 1/8 stop steps which may be noticeable in video recordings. Programmed exposure mode and shutter priority exposure mode should not be used for video.
• No support for in-camera correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
A new Micro-4/3 mount Speed Booster® adapter designed exclusively for the Panasonic GH4 and other selected Micro Four Thirds cameras (refer to the below camera compatbility table), with a magnification of 0.64x. The Speed Booster XL 0.64x uses an advanced 6-element optical design to achieve extraordinary optical performance at apertures up to an incredible f/0.80, a new record for Micro Four Thirds format.
The new Speed Booster XL 0.64x reduces the full-frame crop factor of the Panasonic GH4 from 2.0x to 1.28x, thus effectively transforming these cameras into APS-H format. When the GH4 is used in Cinema 4k video mode the horizontal full frame crop factor is reduced from 2.34x to 1.50x, thus effectively transforming the GH4 into a super-35 format 4k cine camera. In addition, the speed of any attached lens is increased by 11/3 stops, with a maximum output aperture of f/0.80 when an f/1.2 lens is used. For example, a 50mm f/1.2 becomes a 32mm f/0.80, which is the fastest aperture available for full size Micro Four Thirds format.
Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.64x Specifications:
• Magnification: 0.64x
• Crop Factor for Full Micro Four Thirds format: 1.28x
• Crop Factor with GH4 in Cinema 4k (4096 x 2160) Video Mode: 1.5x
• Maximum Output Aperture: f/0.80 (with f/1.2 lens attached)
• Rectilinear Distortion: < 0.8%
• Lens Elements/Groups: 6/4
• Length Reduction: 6.2 mm
• Camera Mount: Micro Four Thirds
• Image Format: 17.3 mm x 13.0 mm (full Micro Four Thirds format)
Have you purchased or used this product before?
Why not help others by giving them the benefit of your opinion.
Simply click here to Log On or register and enter a few details about your experience with this product.
Your personal details are not shared with others and your review is counted with others to form an average rating. To guard against spam and inflammatory remarks, all reviews will be moderated before they are posted.
There are currently no reviews for this product.
Metabones Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds T Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x (Black Matt)